Sausage, bean and pasta soup recipe
- Dish type
- Bean and lentil soup
- Bean soup
This is a thick and hearty soup that is easy to throw together and is filling enough for a midweek supper. Use your favourite bangers for this recipe.
9 people made this
- 225g pork sausages
- 1 teaspoon onion powder (optional)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 1 (400g) tin minestrone soup
- 400ml water
- 1 (400g) tin cannellini beans, undrained
- 1 (400g) tin kidney beans, undrained
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 175g uncooked pasta
MethodPrep:20min ›Cook:40min ›Ready in:1hr
- In 4 litre saucepan, cook sausage until lightly browned. Add onion powder, garlic and onion, and cook until tender.
- Stir in minestrone soup, water, cannellini beans (undrained), kidney beans (undrained), thyme, basil and pepper.
- Bring to the boil and then reduce to low, cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Stir in pasta and cook another 15 minutes and then serve.
If preferred, drain the beans and add 300 to 400ml of chicken, vegetable or beef stock instead.
Reviews & ratingsAverage global rating:(7)
Reviews in English (7)
I would certainly drain all the tinned beans before using them and add add some reduced-salt stock, or even better homemade stock which if you've got a bit of different veg in the bottom of the fridge only takes 20 mins to make. I'm currently making a sausage and lentil casserole which is heavenly.-28 Feb 2014
tbh I cooked it and found it very bland and could only taste the Kidney bean juice :/-30 Apr 2013
Very hearty! Very tasty! Made it for a potluck and received rave reviews. The description indicates that it is even better the next day. It is delicious the next day BUT the noodles no longer have their texture, which is disappointing. Overall, we loved it!-12 May 2000
White Bean and Sausage Soup with Pasta
Is there anything more comforting than ladling up a pot of bubbly, savory soup? We don&rsquot think so. As the temps get cooler and the days get longer, the family gathers in the kitchen a little bit more often, craving something warm, aromatic, and satisfying for a hot lunch or supper. While many soups and stews may require a few hours to simmer on the stovetop, this easy white bean soup comes together in just 40 minutes. To make the soup even heartier, we have added pasta and turkey sausage. Use your favorite smoked sausage if you wish, but you may have a bit more grease in the pan than if you used turkey. Brown the sausage and onions, then add garlic, rosemary, seasonings, beans and chicken stock. Add uncooked pasta and let it them get tender, then stir in swiss chard. Chard is a nutritious, green leafy vegetable with a taste that is a bit milder than spinach. Use raw chard in green salads, sauté it with garlic and olive oil, or bake it into a frittata. Serve a basket of warm, homemade bread with this while bean and pasta soup for a complete quick and easy weeknight supper. To keep the sodium count on this bean and sausage soup low, purchase low-sodium cannellini beans and low-sodium chicken stock.
About This Sausage Bean Soup with Pasta
There are two things that I absolutely love in a Fall soup recipe- when it&rsquos super easy to make, and it&rsquos budget-friendly. Because let&rsquos face it- fall is a precursor to winter and that means holiday spending.
So I&rsquom super excited to bring you this easy, delicious, and money-saving soup recipe, and show you how I make a double batch and freeze half. I think you will love this soup.
- 8 ounces mild Italian turkey sausage links, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon bottled minced garlic (2 cloves)
- 2 (15 ounce) cans cannellini (white kidney) beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can no-salt-added diced tomatoes (undrained)
- 1 (14 ounce) can reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 ½ cups water
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning, crushed
- ¼ teaspoon ground pepper
- 4 cups coarsely chopped kale or spinach
Cook sausage, onion and garlic in a large saucepan 5 to 10 minutes or until the sausage is browned and the onion is tender. Drain off fat. Stir in beans, tomatoes, broth, the water, Italian seasoning, and pepper. Bring to boiling reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 5 minutes.
Stir in kale (or spinach). Simmer, uncovered, 1 to 3 minutes more or until the kale is tender (or the spinach is wilted).
Sausage And Bean Soup
Cook and stir until onion is soft 7 to 10 minutes. Bring to a simmer.
Pin On Recipes Soups Chilis Stews
Reduce heat to medium low and simmer for about 1 hour stirring occasionally or until beans are tender.
Sausage and bean soup. Transfer sausage to a plate. Heat the olive oil in a stockpot or Dutch oven over medium heat. Saute 4 chopped sweet Italian sausages with the garlic.
If the sausage is fatty drain off excess fat. Add stock scraping up the browned bits on the bottom of the pot with a wooden spoon. Add the carrots bell pepper celery minced garlic and sausage and cook for 2 more minutes.
Add the onion and saute for about 3 minutes. Nov 16 2016 Directions Escarole and White Bean Soup. Cook 3 chopped garlic cloves and some red pepper flakes in olive oil.
Feb 04 2020 Add sausage breaking it up with a wooden spoon and cook until browned--about 5 minutes. Add to soup and cook for another 5 minutes to incorporate the flavors. Step 2 Add broth black beans butter beans diced tomatoes basil and oregano.
Make Escarole and White Bean Soup. Add onion peppers carrots and garlic. Cook sausage stirring occasionally until browned about 10 minutes.
Mar 10 2016 Heat oil in a large stockpot over medium. Feb 12 2016 Season with salt pepper paprika crushed mint thyme. Drain and discard grease.
Step 3 Pour water garbanzo beans with liquid beef. Just before soup is ready slice sausage and brown in a skillet. Apr 04 2019 Stir carrots onion mushrooms 14 cup parsley and garlic into sausage.
Add 3 cups chicken. Aug 25 2017 Cook and stir sausage onion and garlic in the hot skillet until sausage is browned and crumbly 5 to 7 minutes.
This Italian Sausage And White Bean Soup Is Easy To Make Simple And Oh So Delicious It S Also G Bean Soup Recipes Sausage Soup Recipes Bean And Sausage Soup
Slow Cooker Tuscan Sausage White Bean Soup 365 Days Of Slow Cooking And Pressure Cooking Recipe White Bean Soup Sausage Soup Bean Soup Recipes
Winter White Bean And Italian Sausage Soup Recipe Yummly Recipe Italian Sausage Soup Recipe Italian Sausage Soup Sausage Soup Recipes
Sausage And Bean Soup With Pasta Recipe Recipe Bean And Sausage Soup Cooking Dried Beans Bean Soup
Kale White Bean And Sausage Soup Recipe Yummly Recipe Bean And Sausage Soup Beans And Sausage Kale Recipes
Tuscan Sausage Soup With White Beans And Kale Recipe Sausage Soup Recipes Bean And Sausage Soup Spicy Sausage Soup
Smoked Sausage And White Bean Soup With Spinach Recipe White Bean Soup Smoked Sausage Healthy Meals To Cook
Tuscan Sausage Soup With White Beans And Kale Recipe White Bean Soup Kale Soup Recipes White Beans
Italian Sausage And Bean Soup Recipe Recipes Italian Sausage Food
Cabbagesoup2 Jpg 672 666 Italian Sausage Soup Bean And Sausage Soup White Bean Sausage Soup
Tuscan Sausage And White Bean Soup Recipe Italian Recipes Cooking Recipes Recipes
With Italian Style Chicken Sausage Tons Of Veggies Beans And Escarole This Protein Packed Soup White Bean Sausage Soup Bean Soup Recipes Easy Soup Recipes
Italian Sausage Soup With White Beans And Spinach Video The Suburban Soapbox Recipe Italian Sausage Soup Soup Recipes Sausage Soup
Italian Sausage And Bean Soup Recipe Homemade Soup Bean Soup Italian Sausage
Instant Pot White Bean Soup With Sausage And Vegetables Recipe Instant Pot Recipes Bean And Vegetable Soup Pot Recipes
White Bean And Sausage Soup With Pasta Recipe Bean And Sausage Soup Beans And Sausage White Bean Sausage Soup
One Pot Sausage And White Bean Soup Recipe Healthy Fitness Meals In 2020 Bean Soup Recipes White Bean Soup Recipes Healthy White Bean Soup Recipes
Sausage Kale And White Bean Soup Paula Deen Magazine Recipe White Bean Soup White Bean Soup Recipes Kale And Bean Soup
Instant Pot Tuscan Sausage White Bean Soup 365 Days Of Slow Cooking And Pressure Cooking Recipe Bean And Sausage Soup White Bean Soup Recipes White Bean Soup
How to store leftovers
Because of the pasta this soup is at it's best when served immediately. Leftovers are still great but the pasta does become very soft once it's been reheated again.
Store leftovers in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 4 days and warm only as much as is needed in a pan on the stove top or in a microwave. Be sure to heat until piping hot, but not for any longer to avoid cooking the pasta more than is necessary.
I haven't yet tried freezing this soup yet. if you do let me know how it goes in the comments section.
And so to recap. This Vegan Italian Sausage Pasta Soup is:
- Rustic and hearty
- Easy to make
- Full of tomatoe-y, herby, sausage-y flavour
- Creamy and velvety
- Very family friendly (don't all kids and big kids like tomato soup and pasta and sausages?)
Are you tired of the dinner routine?
Stuck in a rut or looking for fun new recipes to try?
Our Facebook Group is growing every day! If you haven’t joined yet, we invite you to come check it out and join the fun.
You can ask for recipe ideas, talk about cooking techniques, or get help figuring out the right new pan set for you. If you’ve already joined, invite a friend along!
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 large celery stalk, minced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 3 cups fat-free, low-sodium or regular chicken broth, divided
- 1 (15oz) can cannellini beans, rinsed and well drained
- 1 (8oz) can low-sodium or regular tomato sauce
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 2 to 3 drops hot pepper sauce (optional)
- 3 oz reduced-fat beefsausage
- 1 oz angel hair pasta broken into 2-inch pieces (about ½ cup) to taste (optional)
- In a small Dutch oven or similar pot, combine the onion, celery, garlic, oil, and ¼ cup broth. Cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, for 6 to 7 minutes or until the onion is tender.
- Add the remaining broth, cannellini beans, tomato sauce, Italian seasoning, and hot pepper sauce, if using. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat and simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, 15 minutes.
- Bring the soup to a boil. Stir in sausage and pasta.
- Reduce the heat and cook at a low boil 4 or 5 minutes, until the pasta is tender. Add salt to taste, if desired
Pasta Soup tips
- U se a hot cast iron skillet and don’t over-stir or over crumble the meat — you want it to get browned to develop layers of flavor. Transfer sausage to a paper towel-lined plate to drain off the grease.
- Dice all three veggies into small and even sizes so they’ll cook quickly and integrate into the soup nicely.
- I recommend getting a good brand of broth/stock and fire roasted tomatoes as these ingredients are contributing the main flavor. I typically use Swanson® broth/stock and Muir Glen® or San Marzano® fire-roasted tomatoes (not sponsored)
- Grab a low sodium or no salt added broth/stock so you can control the amount of salt in the soup.
- These photos show regular-sized farfalle pasta, but I also tested it with miniature farfallepasta, and it was even better! Either pasta works, but the mini farfalle is easier to eat. Plus, you get more pasta per bite!
What’s in a name? Americans often call farfalle bow tie pasta. The name farfalle actually comes from farfalla, which is Italian for butterfly…and you know what? That name makes perfect sense now!
- 1 pound mild Italian sausage, casings removed
- 2 cups thinly sliced yellow onion (from 1 medium)
- 1 cup thinly sliced celery (from about 3 stalks)
- 1 cup thinly sliced fennel (from 1 small fennel bulb)
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped (about 1 Tbsp.)
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 teaspoon black pepper, divided
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 2 (15-oz.) cans cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15-oz.) can fire-roasted diced tomatoes, undrained
- 16 (1⁄4-inch)s French baguette slices (from 1 large baguette)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 ounce Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, grated (about 1/4 cup)
- Chopped fresh rosemary
Heat a large Dutch oven over medium-high. Add sausage, and cook, stirring to crumble, until no longer pink, 6 to 8 minutes. Drain, leaving 1 tablespoon of drippings with sausage in Dutch oven. Add onion, celery, fennel, garlic, salt, red pepper, and 1/2 teaspoon of the black pepper. Cook, stirring often, until vegetables have softened, about 5 minutes. Add white wine, and scrape any browned bits from the bottom of the Dutch oven. Stir in chicken stock, beans, and tomatoes bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer 10 minutes.
Preheat broiler with oven rack 6 inches from heat. Place baguette slices on a rimmed baking sheet, and brush 1 side of each piece with olive oil. Sprinkle evenly with cheese and remaining 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Broil until cheese is melted and beginning to brown, 1 to 2 minutes. Remove from oven.
Ladle 1 1/2 cups soup into each of 8 bowls sprinkle with chopped rosemary, and serve with toasts.