Toasted Barley Salad with Broccoli
Toasting the barley before cooking it adds another nutty dimension to the grain. This technique also works great with things like farro, spelt, and couscous.
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1/2 cup pearl barley, rinsed
- 1 garlic clove, thinly sliced
- 1 anchovy fillet packed in oil, drained
- 1/2 head broccoli, chopped
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons (or more) white wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves
- 1/4 cup roasted almonds, chopped
Heat 1 Tbsp. oil in a small pot over medium heat. Add barley and toast, stirring occasionally, until golden, about 5 minutes. Add 3 cups water and bring to a boil; season with salt. Cook until tender, 25–30 minutes.
Heat remaining 3 Tbsp. oil in a large skillet. Add garlic and anchovy and cook , stirring occasionally, until garlic is just golden,, about 2 minutes. Add broccoli; season with salt and pepper and cook until crisp-tender and bright green, 8–10 minutes. Add barley and cook, tossing until warmed through. Add vinegar; season with salt, pepper, and more vinegar, if desired. Mix in parsley and almonds just before serving.