Cranberry-Ribbon Apple Pie
- 1 1/2 cups plus 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 1/2 cups cranberries (about 8 ounces)
- 2 pounds Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored, thinly sliced
- 1 3/4 pounds Golden Delicious apples, peeled, cored, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 Butter Pie Crust Dough disks
- 2 tablespoons (1/4 stick) unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
Stir 3/4 cup sugar and juice in saucepan over medium-high heat. Add cranberries; bring to simmer. Reduce heat; simmer until almost all liquid is absorbed, stirring often, about 25 minutes. Cool. DO AHEAD Can be made 2 days ahead. Cover and chill.
Toss all apples, flour, lemon juice, 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon, and 3/4 cup sugar in large bowl to blend.
Preheat oven to 400°F. Roll out 1 dough disk on floured surface to 13-inch round. Transfer to 9-inch deep-dish glass pie dish. Trim overhang to 1 inch. Spread cranberry mixture over crust bottom. Top with apple mixture; dot with butter. Roll out second dough disk on floured surface to 13-inch round; drape over apples. Press crust edges together to seal; crimp. Cut 1-inch hole in center. Brush crust with milk. Mix remaining 1 tablespoon sugar and pinch of cinnamon in small bowl; sprinkle over crust.
Bake pie 15 minutes; reduce oven temperature to 375°F and bake until crust is golden, about 50 minutes. Transfer to rack; cool at least 2 hours. DO AHEAD Can be made 6 hours ahead. Let stand at room temperature. Serve warm or at room temperature with vanilla ice cream.