Raspberry-Topped Lemon Muffins
- 1 1/4 cups sugar, divided
- 4 teaspoons finely grated lemon peel
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 1/2-pint containers (about) fresh raspberries
- 1/4 cup (about) whipping cream
Preheat oven to 375°F. Line 14 standard muffin cups with paper liners. Mash 1/4 cup sugar and lemon peel in small bowl until sugar is slightly moist. Whisk flour, baking powder, and salt in medium bowl to blend. Using electric mixer, beat remaining 1 cup sugar and butter in large bowl until smooth. Beat in egg. Beat in buttermilk, then vanilla and half of lemon sugar. Beat in flour mixture.
Divide batter among muffin cups. Top each muffin with 4 raspberries. Bake muffins until lightly browned on top and tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 35 minutes. Brush tops of muffins lightly with cream; sprinkle with remaining lemon sugar and cool.