Raspberry-Crème Fraîche Tart
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Powdered sugar (optional)
- *Available at some supermarkets. If unavailable, heat 1 cup whipping cream to lukewarm (85°F). Remove from heat; mix in 2 tablespoons buttermilk. Cover; let stand in warm draft-free area until slightly thickened, 24 to 48 hours, depending on temperature of room. Chill.
Place baking sheet in bottom of oven. Preheat oven to 375°F. Wrap outside of 11-inch-diameter tart pan with removable bottom with foil. Using electric mixer, beat butter, 1/2 cup sugar and salt in large bowl until blended. Add 3 eggs and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla; beat until smooth. Add flour; beat just until blended. Spread batter over bottom and 1/2 inch up sides of pan.
Beat 1/4 cup sugar, 1 egg, 1/2 teaspoon vanilla and crème fraîche in bowl until well blended. Spread custard over batter. Arrange berries 1/4 inch apart atop custard. Sprinkle tart with 2 tablespoons sugar.
Bake tart until set and brown around edges, about 45 minutes. Cool. DO AHEAD Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover loosely with foil; chill. Serve at room temperature.
Remove pan sides. Place tart on platter. Dust with powdered sugar, if desired.