Tandoori-Spiced Leg of Lamb
- 1 cup plain whole-milk yogurt
- 3 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon grated lime peel
- 1 tablespoon minced peeled fresh ginger
- 1 1/2 teaspoons Hungarian sweet paprika
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground fenugreek (optional)
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 6 1/4-pound whole bone-in leg of lamb
Combine yogurt, lime juice, garlic, lime peel, ginger, salt, paprika, coriander, cumin, turmeric, cardamom, dry mustard, cayenne pepper, fenugreek, cloves, and cinnamon in small bowl; whisk to blend. Place leg of lamb on rack set in large roasting pan. Coat leg of lamb with yogurt mixture. Cover lamb loosely with plastic wrap or tent with aluminum foil (do not allow aluminum foil to touch coating) and refrigerate overnight.
Preheat oven to 375°F. Roast leg of lamb uncovered until thermometer inserted into thickest part of meat (not touching bone) registers 125°F for medium-rare, about 1 hour 35 minutes. Let lamb rest 15 minutes before serving.
Be sure to tent the marinated lamb loosely with aluminum foil. When acidic foods come into contact with foil, a chemical reaction can occur that may alter the flavor and color of the dish.