Cheese Tortellini Soup with Cannellini, Kielbasa, and Kale
- 12 ounces fully cooked smoked kielbasa sausage, thinly sliced
- 1 cup chopped fresh fennel bulb
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper
- 10 cups canned low-salt chicken broth
- 4 cups chopped kale (1/2 bunch)
- 1 15-ounce can cannellini (white kidney beans), rinsed, drained
- 1 9-ounce package cheese tortellini
- 1 cup grated Asiago cheese* or Parmesan cheese
Heat oil in heavy large pot over medium-high heat. Add next 6 ingredients and sauté until vegetables are soft and kielbasa is brown, about 12 minutes. Add broth and bring to boil. Stir in kale and cannellini. Reduce heat to low and simmer until kale is wilted, about 4 minutes. DO AHEAD Can be made 1 day ahead. Cool slightly; cover and refrigerate. Bring to simmer before continuing. Add tortellini to soup. Simmer until pasta is just tender but still firm to bite, about 5 minutes.
Ladle soup into bowls. Serve, passing cheese separately.