Penne with Shrimp and Morel Mushrooms
This penne recipe is packed with mushrooms and shrimp. Make it in the springtime when morel mushrooms are in season.
- 4 1/2-ounce packages dried morel mushrooms
- 2 1/2 cups very hot water
- 1/2 cup olive oil, divided
- 2 pounds uncooked large shrimp, shelled, deveined
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary, divided
- 1 1/2 pounds crimini (baby bella) mushrooms, thickly sliced
- 5 garlic cloves, peeled, pressed into small bowl
- 1 1/4 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
Place dried morels in medium bowl; add 2 1/2 cups hot water. Soak until tender, about 35 minutes. Lift out morels, squeezing liquid back into bowl; reserve liquid. Cut any large morels in half.
Heat 1/4 cup oil in large skillet over high heat. Add shrimp; sprinkle with salt, pepper, and 1 tablespoon rosemary. Sauté until just opaque in center, about 3 minutes. Transfer shrimp to bowl. Add 1/4 cup oil to same skillet; reduce heat to medium-high. Add morels, crimini mushrooms, garlic, and 1 tablespoon rosemary. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Sauté until mushrooms are browned, about 8 minutes. Add wine. Cook 1 minute, scraping up browned bits. Add cream and 1 cup mushroom soaking liquid, leaving any sediment in bowl. Boil until sauce thickens enough to coat spoon, about 10 minutes.
Meanwhile, cook pasta in large pot of boiling salted water until tender but still firm to bite. Drain and return to same pot.
Add mushroom sauce, parsley, and shrimp to pasta in pot. Toss over medium-high heat until warmed through, adding more mushroom soaking liquid (leaving sediment in bowl) if pasta is dry. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer to large bowl.