Shaved Squash Salad with Tomatoes and Ricotta Salata
Be sure to serve this salad with croutons or crusty bread alongside. The juices from the tomatoes, squash, and dressing make for a magical combination—you’ll need something to soak it up with. Read more about the underdog cheese, ricotta salata, here.
- 1 garlic clove, finely grated
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- ¾ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- ⅓ cup plus 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, plus more
- 1 pint mixed heirloom cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1½ pounds mixed summer squash, such as zucchini, yellow crookneck, and/or pattypan
- 4 ounces ricotta salata, shaved
- Torn basil leaves and chopped chives (for serving)
Whisk garlic, lemon zest, lemon juice, mustard, sugar, red pepper, ⅓ cup oil, and 1 tsp. salt in a small bowl until salt and sugar dissolve.
Toss tomatoes and remaining 2 Tbsp. oil in a medium bowl; season with salt.
Thinly shave squash on a mandoline or with a very sharp knife, some lengthwise, making long ribbons, and some crosswise, making thin rounds.
Arrange squash on plates so ribbons curl and twist. Spoon tomato mixture over. Drizzle with dressing, then top with ricotta salata, basil, and chives.