Coconut and Crispy Chickpea Trail Mix
The beauty of this mix recipe is that it can be deployed lots of ways. Eat it out of hand as an upgrade to the usual cocktail nut or pretzel offering, or spoon it over plain yogurt as a savory topping. It can also be tossed into a bowl of salad greens or as a stir-in for a puréed soup.
- 1 15-ounce can chickpeas, rinsed
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 3 2x1-inch pieces orange zest, sliced into ½"-thick strips
- ⅓ cup pumpkin seeds (pepitas)
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ½ cup unsweetened toasted coconut flakes
Preheat oven to 400°. Place chickpeas on a paper towel–lined rimmed baking sheet and let drain (dryness now equals crispiness later). Remove paper towels and toss chickpeas on baking sheet with 1 Tbsp. oil; season with ½ tsp. salt. Roast chickpeas, tossing halfway through, until crisp and golden brown, 35–40 minutes.
Meanwhile, toss orange zest, pumpkin seeds, rosemary, maple syrup, cayenne, remaining 2 Tbsp. oil, and remaining ½ tsp. salt in a small bowl. Remove chickpeas from oven and add pumpkin seed mixture; toss to coat. Roast until orange zest is shriveled and pumpkin seeds are pale green, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and toss in coconut flakes; let cool.
Do Ahead: Trail mix can be made 5 days ahead. Store airtight at room temperature.