Korean Beef Barbecue with Toasted Sesame Salt
- 1/2 unpeeled Asian pear, halved, cored, coarsely chopped
- 6 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon unseasoned rice vinegar
- 2 large garlic cloves, peeled
- 2 teaspoons Asian sesame oil
- 2 pounds beef tenderloin steaks, cut crosswise into 1/3-inch-thick strips
- 3 tablespoons sesame seeds
Puree first 7 ingredients in blender until smooth. Pour into large bowl. Add beef; toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate 1 hour.
Heat heavy small skillet over medium heat. Add sesame seeds and salt and cook until seeds are deep golden brown, stirring frequently, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat. Let cool in skillet. Divide sesame mixture among 6 very small bowls and place 1 bowl on each of 6 plates.
Prepare barbecue (high heat). Using tongs, remove beef, 1 slice at a time, from marinade, allowing excess to drip back into bowl; place on grill. Cook to desired doneness, about 2 minutes per side for medium-rare. Divide beef among plates alongside sesame salt.