Grilled Mushrooms and Carrots with Sesame
The nutty, woodsy mushrooms play up the sweetness of the carrots. Memorize the dressing—it’s great on pretty much everything.
- 8 oz. small carrots (about 6), scrubbed, halved lengthwise
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons unseasoned rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon finely grated peeled ginger
- 4 scallions, thinly sliced on a diagonal
- 2 teaspoons toasted sesame seeds
Prepare grill for medium-high heat. Toss mushrooms and carrots with 3 Tbsp. vegetable oil in a large bowl; season with salt and pepper. Grill, turning mushrooms often and carrots occasionally, until tender and lightly charred in spots, about 4 minutes for mushrooms and 5–8 minutes for carrots. Let cool slightly on a cutting board.
Meanwhile, whisk soy sauce, vinegar, sesame oil, ginger, and remaining 1 Tbsp. vegetable oil in a large bowl.
Cut carrots into 2”-long pieces, tear mushrooms into bite-size pieces. Add to bowl with vinaigrette along with scallions and sesame seeds and toss to coat; season with salt and pepper.