Heart-Shaped Dried Cherry and Chocolate Chip Scones
- 2 cups unbleached all purpose flour
- 1/3 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar
- 7 tablespoons chilled unsalted butter, diced
- 1 teaspoon (packed) grated orange peel
- 3/4 cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- 3/4 cup coarsely chopped dried tart cherries
- 2/3 cup chilled buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
Butter and flour baking sheet. Whisk 2 cups flour, 1/3 cup sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in large bowl. Add butter and grated orange peel; rub in with fingertips until coarse meal forms. Mix in chocolate chips and dried cherries. Whisk buttermilk, egg yolk, vanilla extract, and almond extract in small bowl to blend. Add buttermilk mixture to dry ingredients; stir with fork until dough comes together in moist clumps. Gather dough into ball. Press out dough on lightly floured surface to 3/4-inch thickness. Using 2-inch heart-shaped cookie cutter, cut out scones. Gather scraps, press out dough and cut out additional scones. Transfer to baking sheet, spacing 1 inch apart. DO AHEAD Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover; chill.
Preheat oven to 400°F. Brush scones lightly with milk; sprinkle with remaining 2 tablespoons sugar. Bake until scones are crusty on top and tester inserted into center comes out clean, about 15 minutes (or up to 20 minutes if refrigerated). Serve warm or at room temperature.