Ziti with Skillet-Roasted Root Vegetables
- 2 1/2 cups coarsely chopped red onion
- 2 cups 1/2-inch pieces peeled parsnips
- 2 cups 1/2-inch pieces peeled red-skinned sweet potatoes (yams)
- 2 cups 1/2-inch pieces peeled golden beets, greens coarsely chopped and reserved
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 2/3 cups (about) vegetable broth, divided
- 1 pound ziti or other tubular pasta
- 2 tablespoons (1/4 stick) butter
- 1 1/2 cups grated Parmesan cheese, divided
Heat oil in large nonstick skillet over high heat. Add onion and all vegetables except beet greens; sauté until vegetables begin to soften and brown, 8 to 9 minutes. Add rosemary; stir 1 minute. Add 1 cup broth; bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium; sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cover skillet and cook until vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally, 15 to 18 minutes.
Meanwhile, cook pasta in large pot of boiling salted water until just tender but still firm to bite, stirring occasionally. Drain. Return pasta to pot.
Stir beet greens and butter into vegetables; add to pasta. Stir in 1 cup Parmesan and more vegetable broth by 1/3 cupfuls to moisten. Season with salt and pepper. Serve with remaining Parmesan.