“Tater Tots” with Spicy Mayonnaise
No disrespect to the frozen tots these are based on, but making your own is way more fun than opening a bag (and they taste better, too).
- 1 teaspoon adobo sauce from canned chipotles in adobo
- 1 teaspoon gochujang (Korean hot pepper paste)
- ¼ teaspoon hot smoked Spanish paprika (optional)
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 medium russet potatoes (about 2 lb.), scrubbed
- ½ cup seasoned Italian breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon sour cream or plain yogurt
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, room temperature
- ½ teaspoon granulated garlic
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt, plus more
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan, plus more
- 2 large eggs, beaten to blend
- Vegetable oil (for frying; about 3 cups)
Combine mayonnaise, adobo sauce, gochujang, and paprika, if using, in a small bowl; season with salt and pepper.
DO AHEAD: Mayonnaise can be made 1 week ahead. Cover and chill.
Preheat oven to 400°. Prick potatoes all over with a fork and bake directly on oven rack until very soft when squeezed, 60–75 minutes. Let cool slightly.
Cut potatoes in half and scoop flesh into a medium bowl; discard skins. Mash, then mix in scallions, breadcrumbs, cream, sour cream, butter, granulated garlic, pepper, 2 tsp. salt, and 2 Tbsp. Parmesan. Mix in eggs just until combined. Roll 1-tablespoon portions of potato mixture into balls.
Pour oil into a medium skillet to a depth of ½" and heat over medium heat until bubbles form immediately when a little potato mixture is added. Working in batches, fry tots until deep golden brown, about 3 minutes per side. Drain on paper towels; season with salt. Serve with spicy mayonnaise.