Crab and Corn Chowder with Bacon
- 6 ounces bacon, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 pound red-skinned potatoes, unpeeled, diced
- 2 1/2 cups bottled clam juice
- 1 pound fresh or frozen corn kernels
- 1 pound fresh crabmeat, coarsely flaked or chopped
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme
Sauté bacon in heavy large saucepan over medium heat until brown and crisp, about 10 minutes. Using slotted spoon, transfer bacon to paper towels to drain. Pour off all but 3 tablespoons bacon fat. Add onion to drippings in saucepan and sauté until beginning to soften, about 3 minutes. Add potatoes and stir until coated. Add clam juice; bring to boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer 10 minutes.
Add half and half, corn, crab, fresh thyme, and half of bacon; cook uncovered until potatoes and corn are tender, about 5 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Ladle chowder equally into 6 bowls. Garnish with remaining bacon and serve.