Butternut Squash Puree with Orange, Ginger, and Honey
- Nonstick vegetable oil spray
- 5 pounds butternut squash, each cut in half lengthwise, seeded (about 2 very large)
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter
- 2 tablespoons frozen orange juice concentrate, thawed
- 2 tablespoons minced peeled fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon (scant) ground allspice
Preheat oven to 375&°F. Spray large baking sheet with nonstick spray. Place squash, cut side down, on prepared sheet. Bake until squash are very tender when pierced with fork, about 50 minutes. Cool slightly. Scoop out pulp from squash and place in processor. Using on/off turns, puree pulp until smooth. Transfer squash puree to bowl.
Combine butter, orange juice concentrate, honey, ginger, and orange peel in heavy small saucepan. Boil until mixture is reduced to 1/3 cup, about 3 minutes. Stir mixture into squash puree. Mix in lemon peel, cinnamon, and allspice. Season generously with salt and pepper. DO AHEAD Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover and refrigerate. Rewarm over medium-low heat, stirring often, or cover with plastic wrap and microwave on high until heated through, about 5 minutes. Transfer to bowl and serve.