Peppers Charred in the Embers with Wasabi Vinaigrette
- 2 tablespoons seasoned rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons oriental sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons wasabi paste (horseradish paste)*
- 2 large yellow or orange bell peppers
- 2 yellow Hungarian peppers (also called Hungarian wax chiles or banana chiles)
Combine first 7 ingredients in small bowl; whisk to blend well. DO AHEAD Vinaigrette can be prepared 1 day ahead. Cover and refrigerate. Bring to room temperature and rewhisk before using.
Remove grill rack from barbecue. Prepare barbecue (medium-high heat). Rake coals into even layer. Allow coals to burn until just beginning to turn ash-gray. Place peppers directly on coals. Cook until peppers are blackened on all sides, turning frequently with tongs, about 7 minutes. Transfer peppers to bowl; cover with plastic wrap. Cool peppers to room temperature. Peel and seed peppers, then cut into 2x1-inch pieces.
Arrange peppers on platter. Spoon vinaigrette over; sprinkle with sesame seeds and serve.