Cream Biscuits with Bacon and Roasted Onions
- 1 pound onions, peeled, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 6 bacon slices, coarsely chopped
- 3 3/4 cups all purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 3 cups chilled whipping cream
- 1 large egg, beaten to blend (for glaze)
Preheat oven to 350°F. Mix onions, herbs, and oil in bowl. Spread on large rimmed baking sheet; sprinkle with salt and pepper. Roast until golden, stirring twice, about 30 minutes. Cool. Maintain oven temperature.
Cook bacon in medium skillet until crisp and brown. Using slotted spoon, transfer bacon to paper towels to drain.
Blend flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt in large bowl. Mix in bacon and half of roasted onion mixture. Mix in cream, tossing just until dry ingredients are evenly moistened; do not overmix. Turn dough out onto floured work surface. Knead for 5 turns to combine well. Shape into 18-inch-long log. Cut crosswise into eighteen 1-inch-thick rounds. Arrange rounds on baking sheet, spacing evenly apart. Brush each with glaze; top each with some of remaining onion mixture, pressing to adhere.
Bake biscuits until golden brown, about 20 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature.