Herb and Onion Stuffing
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 3 cups chopped onions (about 1 pound)
- 2 cups chopped celery (4 to 5 stalks)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh Italian parsley
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh sage
- 2 tablespoon chopped fresh marjoram
- 12 cups (generous) 1-inch cubes day-old pain rustique or ciabatta bread with crust (about 1 1/4 pounds)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fine sea salt
- 1 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
- 1 cup (or more) low-salt chicken broth
Melt butter in heavy large skillet over medium heat. Add onions and celery. Sauté until vegetables are tender, about 12 minutes. Add all herbs; sauté 1 minute longer. DO AHEAD Can be made 1 day ahead. Transfer to bowl, cover, and chill.
Preheat oven to 350°F. Divide bread between 2 rimmed baking sheets. Bake until bread is crusty but not hard, reversing sheets after 5 minutes, 10 to 12 minutes total. Transfer to very large bowl and cool.
Butter 13x9x2-inch baking dish. Stir vegetable mixture into bread. Whisk eggs, salt, and pepper in small bowl to blend; whisk in 1 cup broth. Add egg mixture to stuffing, tossing to combine evenly and adding more broth by 1/4 cupfuls if dry. Transfer stuffing to prepared dish.
Bake stuffing uncovered until cooked through and brown and crusty on top, 50 to 60 minutes. Let stand 10 minutes.