Brined Chicken Breasts
- 3 wide strips lemon zest (removed with a vegetable peeler)
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon black peppercorns
- 2 8-ounce skinless, boneless chicken breasts, halved crosswise
Combine thyme, garlic, bay leaves, lemon zest, lemon juice, salt, honey, and peppercorns in a large heatproof bowl. Add 2 cups boiling water and stir until salt is dissolved. Add 3 cups ice and stir until ice is melted. Add chicken, cover, and chill overnight.
Remove chicken from brine, pat dry, and let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes before frying.