Tunisian Vegetable Salsa
- 4 large unpeeled garlic cloves
- 4 plum tomatoes (about 12 ounces total)
- 2 small whole unpeeled onions (1/2 pound total)
- 1 Japanese eggplant (about 5 ounces)
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- Fresh lemon juice, kosher salt, and freshly ground black pepper
Prepare a grill to medium-high heat. Thread garlic cloves onto a metal skewer. Put garlic skewer, tomatoes, onions, peppers, chile, and eggplant on grill rack. Grill, turning occasionally, until tender and lightly charred all over, 6-7 minutes for garlic and tomatoes; 10 minutes for eggplant; 15 minutes for peppers and chile; 20 minutes for onions. Place peppers and chile in a large bowl; cover with plastic wrap and let stand 15 minutes. Peel, seed, and coarsely chop peppers and chile. Coarsely chop tomatoes and eggplant. Peel and coarsely chop onions. Pulse all vegetables in a food processor, along with oil, until puréed to desired consistency. Transfer to a large bowl. Season to taste with lemon juice, salt, and pepper.