Mincemeat Ice Cream
Vanilla Ice Cream
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 vanilla bean, split lengthwise
- 2 Golden Delicious apples (about 1 1/3 pounds), peeled, cored, cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 1 cup pecans, toasted, chopped
- 1/4 cup Calvados (apple brandy)
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
- 2 1/2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon finely grated lemon peel
Mix cream and milk in heavy large saucepan. Scrape in seeds from vanilla bean; add bean. Bring to simmer; remove from heat.
Whisk yolks and sugar in large bowl to blend. Gradually whisk hot cream mixture into yolk mixture. Return mixture to saucepan. Stir over medium heat until mixture thickens and leaves path on back of spoon when finger is drawn across, about 5 minutes. Strain custard into bowl. Cover; chill until cold, about 4 hours.
Bring all ingredients to boil in heavy large saucepan. Reduce heat to medium and cook until almost all liquid is absorbed, stirring frequently, about 15 minutes. Discard cinnamon stick. Transfer mixture to bowl; refrigerate until cold, about 2 hours.
Process custard in ice cream maker. Transfer ice cream to bowl. Fold in 3 cups cold mincemeat. Cover and freeze until firm, about 4 hours. DO AHEAD: Can be made 3 days ahead. Keep frozen.