Chocolate-Chocolate Chip Cookie and Strawberry Gelato Sandwiches
- 2 1/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup natural unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup (packed) dark brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
- Fresh Strawberry Gelato, slightly softened
Preheat oven to 375°F. Line 2 large rimmed baking sheets with parchment. Sift first 4 ingredients into bowl. Using electric mixer, beat butter in large bowl until fluffy. Beat in both sugars, then eggs, 1 at a time. Beat in extracts, then flour mixture. Fold in chocolate chips. Drop batter by heaping tablespoonfuls onto prepared sheets, spacing mounds 2 to 3 inches apart. Using moist fingertips, flatten mounds to 3/4-inch thickness.
Bake cookies 5 minutes. Reverse sheets. Bake until cookies are puffed and dry-looking but soft to touch, about 5 minutes. Cool completely. Freeze on sheets 15 minutes.
Spoon 1/3 cup gelato onto flat side of 1 cookie. Top with second cookie, flat side down; press together. Wrap and freeze. Repeat with remaining gelato and cookies. DO AHEAD Keep frozen up to 2 days.