11 Guilt-Free Party Snacks
Certain things are essential in order to pull off the perfect party: congenial company, music to set the tone and vibe, flowing cocktails, and great party foods. And we haven’t even begun to talk about the empty calories that come with downing celebratory cocktails and raised glasses of bubbly.
Click here for the 11 Guilt-Free Party Snacks (Slideshow)
Wouldn’t it be wonderful if there were a way to avoid ruining your diet and still get your party food fix, whether you are attending a party or hosting one? The good news is that party eating doesn’t have to equal unhealthy eating. To help you survive your next fiesta whilst still maintaining your weight loss goals, nutritionist Keri Gans gave us several party survival tips for you to follow:
1. It’s always a good idea to grab a snack before you go to the party so you aren't starved when you walk in the door. Try to eat something that that has a nice balance of low sugar, high fiber, and adequate protein. Think KIND Nuts & Spices Bar, dried fruit, or even a handful of almonds.
2. Wear a form-fitting outfit - nothing with elastic - hopefully this will keep you from overeating, since it sure isn't comfortable when you clothes start feeling tight.
3. Position yourself away from the hors d’oeuvres so you are less likely to mindlessly grab at them. If you find yourself noshing, at least try for the healthier options like raw vegetables, hummus, shrimp cocktail, and a handful of almonds.
4. Pay more attention to being social than to eating. It’s difficult to talk when your mouth is full.
5. Buy yourself a bright new lipstick that won't look as good once you start eating, or a fancy tie that you’d be worried about dribbling on.
6. Peruse the buffet before getting in line. Scout out the healthier choices. Then, only go back for seconds if they are vegetables Foods that appear to be made with a cream sauce and are overly-dressed with oil should not find their way to your plate.
7. Remember that calories from alcohol do count. Try and avoid cocktails that have juice or soda in them, unless it’s club soda. Slow down your drinking by enjoying a glass of water or seltzer in between alcoholic beverages.
And just to be extra cautious, we sourced guilt-free recipes so you can host a party conscientiously or bring a guilt-free snack to your next soiree! From pizza bites and eight-layered dip to decadent peanut butter fudge and blueberry trifle, there's no need to deprive yourself with these tasty and low-calorie guilt-free recipes.
Fernanda Capobianco’s Pissaladière with Vegetables and Olives
“Half tart, half pizza, the pissaladière is a classic recipe from the Provence region of France. My version features a mélange of multi-colored vegetables – zucchini, fennel, eggplant, and onions – on top of an olive oil-enriched crust,” says chef Fernanda Capobianco of vegan bakery Vegan Divas NYC. “It’s ideal as a main dish for dinner alongside a green salad – a great recipe for entertaining. Leave the vegetables premade and each guest can make or choose their topping.”
Art Smith’s Unfried Chicken with Roasted Brussels Sprouts
Chef Art Smith’s, of Lyfe Kitchen, Unfried Chicken is a baked-to-perfection party favorite and has 570 calories and 792 mg sodium, so no one will leave the party feeling guilty!