Spiced Glazed Carrots with Sherry and Citrus
- 2 bunches of thin carrots (2 lb.), cut into 1' pieces (about 4 cups)
- 2 tablespoons (1/4 stick) unsalted butter
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt plus more for seasoning
- 12 whole black peppercorns
- 1 tablespoon fresh clementine juice or orange juice
- 2 tablespoons Sherry or sweet vermouth, divided
- 1 tablespoon fresh tarragon leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated clementine zest or orange zest
Bring carrots, butter, 1/2 tsp. salt, peppercorns, bay leaf, and 1/2 cup water to a boil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Reduce heat to a simmer, cover, and cook, stirring occasionally, until just tender, 7–8 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer carrots to a medium bowl.
Add clementine juice, 1 Tbsp. Sherry, and ground cloves to skillet and cook until glaze forms, 7–8 minutes. Stir in carrots and remaining 1 Tbsp. Sherry. Season carrots to taste with salt. DO AHEAD Can be made 4 hours ahead. Let stand at room temperature. Rewarm over medium heat before continuing, adding water by teaspoonfuls if dry.
Transfer to a serving plate. Garnish with tarragon and celementine zest.